Monday, February 22, 2010

More Post Secrets!



I keep finding more and more post secrets that relate to our class. The two that I am posting from this week have a lot to do with the idea of a secret. In our society, there are some things that we just don't advertise because they aren't normal. Post Secret allows for people to voice these secrets anonymously. I think the fact that the content of these two post cards are "secrets" speaks a lot about what we consider to be "normal" sexually. It isn't normal for a guy to have tits and it isn't normal for someone to be attracted to Dr. Frank-N-Furter because he is androgynous and ambiguous.

5 comments:

  1. I really love this post. I actually own the "Post-Secret" book and it’s absolutely fascinating. The two secrets that Elisabeth posted on her blog have everything to do with what we have been discussing in class recently. The fact that the secrets have to do with sexuality and intersex really does show how society affects our lives and defines what’s normal. Elisabeth writes, “I think the fact that the content of these two post cards are 'secrets' speaks a lot about what we consider to be 'normal sexually.” Who are we to define what is normal? We should accept everyone; none of us are perfect physically, sexually, or mentally. A person should be allowed to be whoever he or she chooses, and it is not fair for us to judge him or her.
    I don’t know what it’s like to be intersex or gay and, therefore, I don’t know what the people who are, are feeling. Because of this, I am not one to judge him or her. It is not my place. Society has deemed intersex as not normal, and that’s why people who are intersex feel the need to hide it. He or she does not want to be thought of as an outcast or a freak, but that’s what society and our culture has turned intersex people into and it’s not fair. People should not feel the need to hide their differences just because they don’t fit into the category of “normal.” Maybe if we were all more open with our differences they would become more socially acceptable, maybe even regarded as normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read the Post Secret blog, and I think that Elisabeth and Anna make really good comments here. These two postcards that Elisabeth has incorporated into the blog really show how society can alienate people who do not fit the norm. Because this website is a forum for people to post their secrets and things that they do not necessarily feel comfortable sharing to others when their identity is known, it underscores how people who are intersex can feel in society. Since they are not male OR female they feel alienated by society and struggle with openly embracing their true identity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to take a look at the post secret blog, particularly since I teach _Rocky Horror_ in my Hollywood class! I'm glad you took the time to post these, Elisabeth; they're fascinating and really spark great conversations. Perhaps we should make a class post secret book...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is unfortunate that what we have deemed as "normal" in today's society has forced many people to keep their true identities (biologically, emotionally, physically, mentally, etc.) a secret. People often say how a secrets eat away at you and drive you insane, because all you want to do is to share it with someone. It's sad that intersex individuals are so stigmatized in society and usually feel so uncomfortable that they can't share their "secret" -- in other words, their true identity with someone, anyone. Society has made it so that these individuals probably feel ashamed because they don't fit in the narrow category of "normal."

    ReplyDelete